First, let's get your self-awareness going by answering a few questions. This is designed to get you to become aware of what you believe to be true. Be candid with yourself and say out loud the first response that comes to mind:
Don't freak out yet... read on.
He is God. His Kingdom is not of this world. He has no rival or equal. He doesn't vote. The real question is WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON? Whose character and nature and ways are you representing? Keep the main thing the main thing... and still pray, vote and play to win!
Check out the story in Joshua 5 where the Israelites are rolling up to conquer their promised land. Their commander, Joshua, is scoping out the first enemy city - Jericho - and happens across a warrior he doesn't recognize.
"WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?!" challenges Joshua to the unknown warrior.
The context for this question is that God had sent the Israelites. God had told them to wipe out Jericho. God had provided. God had said He would go with them...
So, surely God is on their side and this warrior was on their side or the enemy???
The warrior responded, "NEITHER ONE. I am the commander of the Lord's army."
Joshua immediately fell on his face and said "I am at your command, what do you want your servant to do?" Joshua 5:14 NLT
1. God doesn't take our side, we take His.
2. You remain on His side as long as you are following His ways, fighting His battles, obeying His commands.
3. If you get proud or arrogant in the process, you will find out that, whatever 'side' you are on, you will have God resisting or opposing you (see James 4:6 and more!). Pride is what turned Lucifer from archangel, standing in the very Presence of God, to chief of demons. Remember that!
3. Rather than telling someone that God is on your side so they best agree with you, get on your face and say to the Lord, "I am at Your command, what do you want me to do?"
4. Then do that! Unapologetically.
To be clear, take a stand for what is right and just and true. Don't hold back or hide or pretend that everything will be fine if you stay neutral. Faith engages. Faith is messy. Faith speaks and acts. Faith could get you killed or thrown in prison or even unfriended on social media.
Just do it on God's command and not your cause.